Cageprisoners Ltd is a human rights organisation (company registration no: 6397573) that exists solely to raise awareness of the plight of the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and other detainees held as part of the War on Terror.
The site was launched in October 2003 during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan by individual Muslim volunteers who came together for the reasons set out below. The inspiration for the web-site came from two other web-sites on the cage prisoners, Al Asra (in Arabic) and Prisoners of the West (both now defunct). We have the backing of both Muslim and non-Muslim lawyers, activists, former detainees, families of prisoners and academics. Click here to read what some of these individuals had to say about Cageprisoners Ltd.
1. EDUCATE the public by being a comprehensive resource of information on Guantanamo Bay and other detainees held as part of the War on Terror highlighting their plight and ensuring that they are never forgotten.
2. CAMPAIGN for the repatriation or asylum for the Guantanamo Bay detainees in particular and that other prisoners are treated within the civilised norms of justice, and to ensure that they are given their due rights namely:
the right to humane treatment and conditions
the right not to be tortured
the right not to be detained indefinitely
the right not to be disappeared
the right to open fair civilian trials
the right to legal representation
the right of access to the Red Cross and medical personnel
the right of access to their families.
3. SUPPORT their families emotionally and financially via HHUGS
4. MOTIVATE, others to take organised political and legal actions on both a local and international level.
5. CO-OPERATE with other individuals and organisations for these ends
6. PREVENT similar treatment of other communities in the future by developing, building and placing political, legal and social infrastructures.
Our work can be summed up in six points:
Please see how you can support Cageprisoners visit: www.cageprisoners.com